Today is my dad’s birthday and when I asked him what wonderful sweet treat he would like he requested scones. Excellent! I love scones. These would also make a great Christmas morning treat.
I used a recipe from Mom’s Big Book of Baking by Lauren Chattman. It’s a fantastic book, full of simple recipes, great tips, and yummy baked goods.
The book gives a list of possible add-ins. I used dried apricot and threw in some orange zest.
6T unsalted butter, chilled
3 C flour
1/3 C sugar
1T baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 C dried apricots cut into small chunks
2 t orange zest
2 large eggs lightly beaten
3/4 C whole or lowfat milk
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Cut butter into 1/4″ chunks and put in freezer
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
- Add chilled butter and mix on low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal.Stir in apricots and zest
- Stir in eggs and milk and mix by hand until just moistened- don’t overmix
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and divide in half. Shape each into a 6″ disk
- Cut each disk into 6 wedges
- Place the wedges 1/2″ apart on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet
- It’s optional at this point to brush the tops with another lightly beaten egg
- Bake until golden about 12 minutes
I let my scones cool and topped them with this orange glaze.