1. Casual vs. Formal
The two major factors that determine the formality of your photos are location and clothing. Be sure they match.
2. Keep it Simple
- This isn’t a shoot for a fashion magazine. Stay away from trendy pieces.
- Minimize embellishments and prints.
- Stay away from sleeveless tops. The focus will be on your arms and shoulders and not your face.
- A V-neck is the most flattering neckline.
- Dress in a style you typically wear. This is not a time to branch out and try a new look.
- Dress comfortably.
- Choose a coordinating color scheme. For ideas check out: BBT’s Favorite Summer Color Combos, Favorite Fall Color Combos
3. Moms First!
Select your outfit first. It will be much easier and less stressful for you to select kid and husband clothing that go with what you are wearing.
4. Don’t forget about Shoes
More than likely you will want some full length shots. If you are not planning on getting new shoes, be sure to buff and polish the ones you already have. OR… Take barefoot pics. 🙂
5. Look Polished
Lay out outfits the day before. Make sure you have all pieces together and freshly pressed or steamed. If you are not wearing your outfit to the photo shoot, take your clothing with you on a hanger so it doesn’t get wrinkled during transport.